11 October 2016

Ardvreck Castle, Shores of Loch Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland

Ardvreck Castle
Ardvreck Castle, along the A837, on the shores of Loch Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland. For those traveling the North Coast 500 (https://www.northcoast500.com), this is a must stop and take a picture location. 

We happened upon Ardvreck Castle and even from a distance, this mysterious ruin had our attention. So, strong was the attraction that we stopped at a distance to capture our first images before finding a pullout to park at, so we could explore the grounds of the peninsula/island (depending on water levels) which the castle is located. 

Again, I must warn you I am not a historian. My quick check of Wikipedia helped me to learn this was once a Clan MacLeod stronghold. I find that interesting, but I am here to take pictures. If only I had time to return when the skies are blue and the crowds are few. And pictures I did take.....about 90 images were captured here. From that I have tried, with minimal success, to pare that number down for this post.

I believe the photos will do the talking on this one.  I have more images than I have words to describe it image. I will say, I did enjoy this visit immensely, from the pleasant walk from the A837 along the beach, wading the ankle-deep waters onto the outcrop, as well as, my scurrying under the A837 to go take pictures of the nearby waterfall.

Ardvreck Castle is a very rewarding castle to photograph. All of these images were taken within about 30 minutes or so, on an August afternoon. And depending on where the sun was in relation to the castle and the background I was able to capture the same castle with many different faces. I have had a few of these images printed and enlarged; Ardvreck Castle is very photogenic.  
Calda House & Ardvreck Castle, Loch Assynt, Scotland

Ardvreck Castle


Ardvreck Castle

Ardvreck Castle, Loch Assynt
I hope you enjoy these pics. I know, I enjoyed taking them. This was a great adventure and look forward to one day making a return.

Until next time, plan an adventure and go!!

Mountainman.
Ardvreck Castle

Ardvreck Castle

Ardvreck Castle

Ardvreck Castle


Ardvreck Castle

Ardvreck Castle

Ardvreck Castle

Ardvreck Castle


Ardvreck Castle, Loch Assynt, Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment